American football is a challenging, physical game with a range of attributes including explosive power, stamina, agility, pace and physical and psychological toughness. That makes the sport the spectacle it is, is the massive crashes and complex plays between the 22 players on the field.
Players may take up to three hours to complete and may look pretty complicated, mostly because each play is often highly tactical. Football is a relatively easy sport to watch and enjoy. It’s the sport’s nuances, learned from years of attentive watching, that makes the game so interesting to watch and make it more than a test of muscle and brute strength. Often referred to as American football, as distinct from football (or soccer as it is also known); in some countries, American football is often referred to as gridiron or gridiron football to distinguish it from other football games.
What Is Football?
Football is a team sport organized in a rectangular field. The game aims to carry the oval-shaped football down the field, either by running it or by throwing it. The goal is to bring the football into the end zone of the opponent. There are different positions and rules at play and this article will clarify the sport’s principles to those who are unfamiliar with it.
What Are the Rules of Football?
Here’s a simple description of how a game of football plays.
- Scoring is performed on offence by the players. Its goal is to get the ball to its opponent’s end zone. This is achieved by either throwing the ball down the field or tossing it through.
- The offence team has four downs to push the 10-yard ball forward. A down is simply an attempt to move the ball forward. If 10 yards after four downs a team can not advance the ball, it’s passed to the opposing team.
- A team has the choice on fourth down either to try a field goal or a punt. A field goal is usually attempted inside 40 yards.
- A game is divided up into four parts, each lasting 15 minutes. Between the second and third quarters, there is a half-time interval.
- A game usually begins with a coin-flip between the captains of the team. Anyone winning the coin flip either gets started or gets a kick-off. At the beginning of the second half, the other team will have the same option.
Football is a global sport
This sport is popular in amateurs in countries like Mexico and parts of Europe, Japan, New Zealand and Australia to a lesser extent. Although the sport is mainly played by men, in recent years, a couple of amateurs and semi-professional women’s leagues have emerged.